Thursday, June 21, 2007

Organized mess.

That's the story of my life.

It seems no matter where I live, or whom I live with, I live in an organized mess. I know where everything is, but it looks as if nothing could be found where I say the scissors are.

I need a serious overhaul of my "stuff" which is probably 90% trash. I want those TLC Clean Sweep guys to come to my house... The only problem with that, is that hubby is a pack rat (as am I), but he's in denial about his packratty status. Which makes organizing near impossible. (He claims it saves us money... I don't see how... the mess is literally making me sick.)

We also have two very VERY different ideas about cleaning. I prefer to go through every single box, have it organized, and know exactly what's in it, while the husband sees stuff not in a box, and wants to put it in a box and call it "clean". SO FRUSTRATING! We have a huge basement (however, unfinished) with NOTHING IN IT. Instead, my "office" is in our dining room (we have no table). I'm fine with that, but I can NOT keep a clean desk. I don't know what's wrong with me.

I cleaned it off the left side of my desk this morning, and almost immediately put papers on it. Now there's an empty ice cream bowl (yum!) tape, scissors, a bottle of water, stuff I should toss, my little notebook, AND hubby's slot machine (very cool)! Not to mention the right side of the desk. lol That's a big BIG mess.


I just need a system. A system that works for both of us. Any suggestions? (Suggestions by strangers are welcome!) I need help! (the more inexpensive, the better.) ;)

~

Added at 11:09pm:

OH MAN! I tried my way of organizing, going through papers, etc, and having a keep, and toss pile (none of which could have been sold, trust me), and I kind of got yelled at. Hubby said I was throwing out stuff that meant something to him.

He went through what I tossed out (in the recycle bin) and he pulled out MY 2005-2006 catalog for Ontario schools that I ordered (back when I wanted to take classes to become an esthetcian), and is obsolete (hullo! its 2007!). A new one can be gotten by calling some phone number. Why would he save that? It wasn't even his!

Man, no wonder we live in a sty. The boy saves stuff that isn't even his. Hunny, if you're reading this, I love you, but I'm sorry. The mess is killing me. :(

5 comments:

Amy Smith said...

I wish I had some good advice. You could use www.motivatedmoms.com to help with a cleaning schedule of sorts. I like it.

As for the organization well you have to let dh know that you need at least one room to be organized like you need it for your own health. then you have to do it. As for the unorganized desk. You should put something pretty like potted plants on the space where you tend to just put junk. Is there a wastebasket there?

Maren said...

Wastebasket is under the desk, and its quite cute actually. Thick wire in a tapered rectangle shape. I'll have to check that site. I don't know why I can't motivate myself to clean my own house. So frustrating. Especially when any attempt I make, makes DH uncomfortable. ugh. You moved way more recently than I did, and I'm the one still surrounded by boxes! :'(

Holly O. said...

I will go back and read the post, but I have to comment on your fish! Holy cow. Your dolphins are huge.

Hayley said...

go through and dejunk things when he's out of the house. take the trash to the curb. then apologize & make his favorite dinner.

Maren said...

hah, hayley, that's a lovely idea. I just may do it. He seriously won't miss the junk either. There's way too much of it.

Thanks for the compliment Holly :) I'm quite proud of my fishies. I need to psot a new photo though, my green sea turtles JUST reached 100% and I'm waiting for them to have a baby! so exciting.