Thursday, June 28, 2007

Immigration update

So, this morning I wake up to an email from my mom. She says I got two letters from the Canadian Consulate General's office in Buffalo. Two? I think... Two is not good news.

The first one, though, was good news. My application has been given a file number. (yay!) Which means I'm now "in process". My application has not yet been accepted, but basically, they've cashed my check, and have put my name in with the thousands (millions?) of others they have to process. And now it is just a waiting "game", here's how long they figure I'll be waiting.

30% of cases finalized in: 18 mo. (Dec 2008)
50% of cases finalized in: 21 mo. (Mar 2009)
70% of cases finalized in: 25 mo. (July 2009)
80% of cases finalized in: 31 mo. (Jan 2010) yikes!

Now, as soon as mom forwards me up these two letters, I should definitely be allowed into Canada legally, WITH my car *yay!* as long as it has insurance, i'm good to go.

There was some "bad" news though. Apparently from the information I gave them (letters, transcripts (from my edumacation in hawaii mind you...) etc) they don't feel that I've proved my proficiency level in English, (and I'm sure if they read this blog, they'd KNOW for certain I am not proficient in English. lol) So, to prove my literacy/proficiency in the English language, I'm required to take an international English proficiency test, which is going to cost me like $300 bucks. not fun. At least though, the library has books I can use to study with, so that should be somewhat helpful. Oh, and I have 120 days in wish to complete this, and send it in. Why can't they just say 6 months?

~

We'll be singing "O, Canada" in church on sunday... I'll probably cry again like I did last year...

Anyway, this is somewhat good news. Now I just take my english test, and wait. :)

hurrah!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, I highly doubt 'millions' of people trying to get into Canada. Seriously, though - don't they know Hawaii is actually one of America's 50 states? Don't tell me you used pigeon on your application!!!
n e wayz
When you sing O Canada you better be thinking of me because I will be in church singing the Star Spangled Banner instead.

Maren said...

Jess, you can bet I'll be thinking about you. Last year, they were tears of joy! Canada is amazing. If they had Target up here, it'd be the perfect place to live! :)

My husband is a little miffed on why I have to take an English test too. I bet I'll be the only white girl taking it. Geez people, its the only language I've ever known! *sigh*

Just another way to squeeze $300 bux from me I guess. :-\

Hayley said...

that stinks about the $300 test. but at least you can get your car, soon!!! yay!

Maren said...

I know! I made plans to get it already! Girls camp is over on the 7th, I'm hoping to have my letters sometime that next week, THEN I can go and get my car! YAY! No more walkin' for me! (Unless I can't afford the gas to drive. lol)

Holly O. said...

I find it so strange they are making you take an English test. You are right, just another way to make $300 off you. Damn Canada. Our neighbors to the north like to screw us over.

Maren said...

Darn right! They just want my money! I'm not even a real American... I'm a haole Hawaiian! America is not my fault! lol

Jan said...

Boy, you should hear what I had to go through to become legal here in the USA!! I have to say that on July 1 in church, I play obscure Canadian patriotic music for prelude. No one notices even when I play "O Canada" which is sort of sad!! I am American now but will always be Canadian -- if you get what I mean.

Maren said...

Jan! I had no idea you were Canadian! I love your lovely country! :) Sorry my fellow Americans gave you grief! If it makes it any better, I've been going through stacks of grief myself!

Pitiful though, that they don't recognize "O Canada" being played :(. Nearly every Canadian knows the Star Spangled Banner when they hear it. *sigh*

Thanks for your post!