Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dagnabbit!

I burnt the first batch of cookies. :(

This stupid gas oven is WAY too hot for its own good. I knew this already because this is not the first time I've tried baking in this house. Recipe calls for 350°F, so I put it at 350° thinking that's a good compromise.

NO!

After just 9 minutes, the darn cookies were burnt. Like, take the battery out of your smoke detector burnt. :( Even scraping the bottoms doesn't help. 12 dead cookies. *sheds tear* so sad.

SO, the next batch, I turn it down to 300°, and it works! Granted I have to leave them in for slightly longer than 9-11 minutes, but it works. Now I have some perfect cookies. :) I'm making one big one, that's the last of the dough, its about 3-4 inches across. I love doing that.

I still hate my oven though. (Thank heaven its a rented house, and the darn thing isn't mine. If it were, I'd have put a sledge hammer through it by now!)

Anyway. mmmmm Cookies!

PS, I'm also convinced that the Nestle Toll House recipe (even if you don't use NTH chocolate chips) is the best cookie recipe out there. It's super simple too.

The End.

2 comments:

Hayley said...

man. i woulda cried too! i hate 'em burnt! needs to be slightly doughy!

Maren said...

I totally agree! even if they're not burnt, but not soft and chewy, i don't enjoy it as much. Thankfully though, my brother in law ate all the burnt ones! lol