Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Currency Exchange

If I were an American living in the states, I'd be SERIOUSLY concerned about our economy.

Since I'm an American living in Canada, making USD (eBay), I'm a little mad at the current financial situation of the US. Check this out.

1 USD = 1.06268 CAD / 1 CAD = 0.941021 USD

This was taken from xe.com just moments ago. It's the site that has all the currency conversions in the world... and then some.

When you look at it like this, its not that big of a deal... but at the ATM, when my US bank tells me I can take out $500 USD per day max (and my rent in Canada needs to be paid, so I'm going to take out as much as possible... here's what I get:

500.00 USD = 531.338 CAD

When I first moved here, December 5, 2003... It was like this:

1 USD = 1.30440 CAD / 1 CAD = 0.766640 USD

Which would mean my $500 USD limit at the ATM was at that time, equal to $652.20 I don't know about you... but $120 bucks loss is a BIG DEAL to me.

I REALLY really *REALLY* try not to be politicial... People who know me don't know how I vote, or whom I've voted for in the past... But this must be said... The current Economic situation of the United States of America is in DIRE need of an overhaul.

I honestly and truly feel that it is the fault of President Bush. Flame away.

Past presidencies and past wars have proven that the economy BOOMS while in a war... so why the HECK is the American dollar losing against EVERY OTHER CURRENCY out there?

Examples:
Australia Dollar today: 1.00 USD = 1.19466 AUD
Australia Dollar pre 9/11 (pre war 9/10/2001): 1.00 USD = 1.948314 AUD

Horrible aint it? Or am I crazy?

Oh, here's Canada's pre war conversion: 1.00 USD = 1.56477 CAD

Another Example:
United Kingdom Pounds today: 1.00 USD = 0.501741 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds pre 9/11: 1.00 USD = 0.68574 GBP

The conversion is getting smaller... Which is good for EVERY country except the US. What is going on here?

One more example... because I can...
Iraqui Dinars today: 1.00 USD = 1,257.50 IQD
Iraqui Dinars pre 9/11: 1.00 USD = 0.3109 IQD

Well, at least SOMEONE'S economy is flourishing... *sigh* I guess I just wish I were making my money in CAD... Any day now... It'll be passing up the USD.

Hopefully this post hasn't upset any of my lovely American friends or family (or random readers...) But I'm upset about the US economy, and SOMETHING needs to be done about it.

4 comments:

Hayley said...

there's so much that bush has done to screw us up! in the past, i thought myself republican, but i honestly don't love bush. NCLB sucks! where's the freaking funding there? and i love our military, totally support our troops & wish them well, but i don't think we should be there. anyway - only a year and a half left. i'm just scared he's going to make us go into iran. we're loosing ally's all around the world, that too me is one of the worst parts! (how do you spell ally?) i think i have it wrong!

Maren said...

I think you spelt it right... I totally agree with you though, I wish the troops weren't there either. Canadian troops are there too, but they mostly just clean up messes and purify water. Thank heaven its just a year and a half more. yikes.

Amy Smith said...

I am not great at expressing my thoughts and I hope this makes sense.

If you have had large credit card debt or bought items made in other countries, you have played a part in devaluing the dollar. Some things about our economy can't be controlled by our government (meaning they can't force us to save, buy only made in USA stuff) but by our being good stewards of our own finances. Reducing consumer debt, increasing savings, buying goods made in the USA, and living within our means as a nation would do great things for our economy. The government can't force us to do this and Americans, for the most part, aren't willing to do it. Eventually the economy will fall in large part do to us and we will have 'sow what we reap.'

Amy Smith said...

Just want to clarify about my post. My point was that the American people and the government both have a part in the economy. I am not trying to debate or anything, just stating facts.

Love ya Shells!