Friday, June 15, 2007

Wanna Date?

Ok, I personally never really knew what dates were good for when I was growing up, I know we put them and a TON of other stuff in our fruitcake our family made for Christmas... But really... what else are they good for?

WELL... I'll tell ya. I recently have been exposed to Date Squares, and they are AMAZING. I think its more of a Canadian or a Southern US type dessert, because I don't think I ever had them growing up. Pity I didn't, because they are AWESOME. Here's a recipe I've used. The best thing about it, is that it looks hard, but is SUPER easy. (Hey, I did it, and loved 'em, they can't be *that* hard!)



Canadian Date Squares

Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 30-35 min
Bake: 350° F
Makes: 20 Servings

2 1/2 cups pitted dates
1 1/2 cups water
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups large flake oats
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup margarine
2 tbsp water


Chop dates then place in a medium saucepan with water. Simmer, uncovered, stirring until mixture is thick and just a few pieces of dates are visible, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Cool.

Preheat oven to 350° F (180° C) and lightly spray a 9-inch (23 cm) square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir flour with oats, sugar and baking soda until mixed. Using your fingers, mix in margarine and water until crumbly.

Press half the mixture on base of pan. Gently spread cooled date mixture over top. Crumble remaining oatmeal mixture overtop, pressing gently. Bake until crumble is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.


~

In other news, I'm STILL sick. :( I don't think its terminal, however I really do hate this. My ear is slightly still plugged, although its trying to drain! But I think I should get some cough expectorant. My chest hurts from all the coughing.

We have a YW activity tomorrow, and I don't think I'm going to make it. :(

2 comments:

Hayley said...

that's for the evening update. i'm sorry you're sick. and dates? i'll have to try it so you don't get put under the "lost her marbles" column in my book.

Maren said...

lol Seriously, you'll love them. Date Squares rock. If you don't like them, file me with the lost marbles. ;)