Friday, June 29, 2007

Reading

Ok, so basically everyone I know loves to read. Me? not so much. Yes, my mom was a librarian, yes, we each had our own book bins we'd put our borrowed treasures in for the week, yes, I was read to as a child, yes... I actually DO know HOW to read English... (stupid immigration people...) But I don't usually get that much enjoyment from just picking up a random book and reading it.

I love me some John Grisham books, and I've read nearly everything he's put out (Currently finishing up his first work of non-fiction "The Innocent Man", I didn't think I'd like it because it's real, but it is quite intriguing.)

Anyway, I usually don't venture that far away from Mr. Grisham. 4-6 months or so ago, I borrowed the Bridget Jones Diary books, which were very easy to read, and quite enjoyable too.

Yesterday I needed some ME time, so I went to the library in hopes of finding either Lipstick Jungle or 4 Blondes, both by Candace Bushnell. And I'm kinda glad they weren't there. So I trudged over to my typical spot over in "GRI" section for a good 'ol John Grisham book, didn't find any I hadn't read, and my eyes wandered a few shelves to the right, and I came across some fun looking books.

Yesterday I discovered (yeah, like I'm Christopher Columbus here...) the Sisterchick books by Robin Jones Gunn. I picked up Sisterchicks do the Hula! The cover is cheese-a-rific, but I picked it up and started reading it in a little corner of the library. Before I knew it, I was on chapter 8, and had read like 80 pages! (This is so not a typical Shelley thing!) I do NOT read and read and read, nor do I love it usually.


I kept reading it. I couldn't put it down, but it was like 6:15pm and I figured I should get home. (I got to the library at 5 or so). I read another chapter on the way home, like those book nerds walking and reading, totally oblivious to everything around them? Yeah, that was me yesterday. I don't live that far from the library, but by the time I had gotten home, I'd finished another chapter! I got a blanket and pillow and set it up on the lawn in the backyard, and kept reading till sunset (9:30pm).

I also read after dinner too, before I fell asleep. And I read some more when I got up. I honestly think I'll finish this book today, which is a world record for me. I only have 5 chapters left... That should take like an hour. It's an odd thing, that a books makes me feel so thankful for all of my blessings, AND makes me homesick all in the same package. Love this book!

You serious readers out there are probably getting a major giggle out of me and this book. It's only 278 pages, and is spaced how I used to space my term papers in college (for maximum pages), but the depth of these books are so much more.

I'm assuming Robin Jones Gunn is a Christian, it'd be hard to write books like these and not be. There's a character in this book named Hope, she sees God's creation in everything, and takes the time to say thank you to Him for it. It's really opened my eyes today to start thinking and feeling like that. I'm just as grateful as she is, why shouldn't I tell Him that? He, apparently, would LOVE hearing that.

Anyway, its kind of like hot tea for the soul. ;) I will definitely be finishing this up today, and getting another sisterchick adventure book today.

Funny thing though, there's a little sticker on the spine that says "Inspirational" on it. I didn't realize that meant that it was religious... (I don't think a non-Christian would be as enthused in this book as I am). BUT... If you are... and you haven't read these books yet, I highly recommend them. They're a super simple read (hey, if I can do it in a day, y'all could finish them in an hour!)


I'm excited for the next one! And maybe I'll read her whole Glenbrooke series too!

I can't believe I'm actually excited about a book! The last time that happened was probably when I was like 5 and read a book by myself for the first time. lol! Its quite obvious that I recommend these books, and I can't wait to read the rest. :)

3 comments:

Hayley said...

yay! i'm so proud of you shelley... i love reading... if you ever want any recommendations, i've got tons!

Maren said...

Fire away! I especially enjoy easy reads! lol Just list them all right here. :)

Amy Smith said...

Shelley, have you read Harry Potter?

You must read The Blue Sword or The Hero and the Crown by Robin McKinley. My favorite books ever. Girl hero, what more can you ask for?