Sunday, September 23, 2007

Road Trippin.

Life is a LOT like a road trip. Sorry for this post, but it's going to be a "Deep Thoughts" moment.

Like I said previously, I had a LOT of time to sit and think...

All. By. Myself.

So I did.

On the way home, I got to Schenectady, NY and I was caught in a HORRIBLE down-pour. It started raining like you wouldn't believe. I was going about 72mph (in a 65 zone, that's not too bad...) and it started raining. Hard. I had to slow down to about 25mph, put on my emergency blinkers, and stare at the white line. After that I said a prayer (I felt bad that I couldn't close both my eyes for it) and the debilitating rain stopped. It couldn't have lasted more than 3-5 minutes. tops. The only other time I was *that* scared driving, was on my way to Vegas from San Diego, the fog was SOOOO thick, nothing helped it, except me looking down at that white line.

Which brings me back to how life is lots like a road trip. We have those moments of utter horror. Be it depression, stress, anguish, grief, or another debilitating moment. We're not alone in them though. In our Gospel Doctrine class today (Dan is the teacher, and he is great!) We read a verse in 2nd Corinthians. It was Chapter 1 verse 4, and it hit me like a TON of bricks. "Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God."

It doesn't say some of our tribulations. Only 3 tribulations per day. No. It says ALL of them. It's not human nature to ask for help in every tribulation, (or even one tiny tribulation), but it's such a relief to know that we can. He is there, He will help us. All we have to do is ask. I don't know about you, but that is such a comfort to me. Especially now, being away from my husband, its been so hard. It would have been a lot easier if I'd ask for His comfort earlier.


I guess that's why we have rain storms, and rainbows. So we can see that it does get better. It does. (The above was taken right after that horrid rain had passed.)

Look how pretty the sunset was after the rain.




Just like the sunset, and the sun's reflection shimmering off the road, we'll not only look better, but we'll be stronger after the afflictions have passed. I'm not saying I'm a pro... far from it... 12 hours on the road to ponder such things does not a guru make. I guess its just an epiphany, and I knew I had to share.

Life throws things in our path. Sometimes sending us on paths we've never been on before. It can be scary, but He has been there before. If we follow His council, and promptings, we'll always be lead to safety.



See... life is a LOT like a road trip. Only longer, and we don't always have to be alone.

7 comments:

Jan said...

Great thoughts! Loved the road trip comparison -- you have some great insights! Thank you!

Hayley said...

wow. i really like deep shelley! glad you were safe through the storm.

Heather said...

I loved that, those rain storms can be scary. Glad you made it safe and sound.

Dave said...

I'm thinking that you ripped this blog off from http://www.deepthoughtsbyjackhandey.com/
I'm calling your bluff.

Maren said...

Naw... I'm not as deep as Jack is. I don't think he had a road trip deep thought... although the one where he was going to take his kid to Disneyland but instead drove to a burnt down abandoned lot is priceless. Especially because they ran out of time to go to the real Disneyland. *sigh* you gotta love Jack Handey.

Holly O. said...

So glad you made it safe and sound!

Unknown said...

great thoughts and gorgeous pics!