Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Stuck in Buffalo... Again...


Only this time its not because I'm not allowed into Canada. (Well, I very well could be not allowed into Canada, but I'm not sure yet). For now, my car isn't starting. We charged it up yesterday, and then we even gave it a jump start (the charge was from a plug-in battery charger thingy), and nada.

The darn thing won't start. Dan thinks that it's the starter. I'm fairly clueless in the workings of these things, so I'm going to have to believe him until I have a 2nd opinion. So, today I've called around, and I've found some fairly reasonable prices for the work. I'll break it down here, because I can.

Pep Boys
Starter: $69.99
Labor: $64.00 (This is the USA, its not Labour here ;) )
Tow: $69.99
Total: $203.98 + Tax

K&A Auto Repairs (local ma & pa type place)
Starter: $80.00
Labor: $54.00
Tow: $45.00 (usually its plus mileage, but they're *right* down the road, so he said it'd just be 45 :) )
Total: $179.00

Firestone
Starter: $220.00 (oddly, he quoted me this last... and that is when I hung up)
Labor: $71.20
Tow: $50.00 (They outsource it, I no likey)

I also called a battery & starter company, and they'll sell me a starter for $93.55. yuk.

So, if I could somehow figure out if we could tow it to that K&A place, It'd be like $134 + tax. The catch though, is that they only accept Cash. Grr. I'm clueless as to how that will happen.

I do have my PayPal debit cards for both my PayPal accounts, but I don't know if there's money in there or not. lol

Just checked. They're both pretty much empty. :( $1.01 left in one of 'em. Hubby has my main debit card in Canada (I didn't figure I'd need it). And while I was in Utah, a new WaMu card arrived in the mail. I didn't realize it was to replace my 2nd checking account I have with them, and not my main account, so I was retarded and cut up the atm card for my main account (this is only AFTER I was able to activate the darn thing online, so I figured I was replacing the right card). So now I'm without atm card... because the 2nd account's card is useless because I don't have a pin for it. I know. I'm retarded.

I think I'll call an auto wrecker place next. *sigh*

4 comments:

Amy Smith said...

Shelley I am still working on photos, my comp is acting up and it takes almost 2 hours to get the picture ready for web viewing.

Sorry about the starter. Are there any Wamus by you? You can go directly to the branch and have them issue you a new pin for the second atm, maybe even give you a temp atm card for the other account.

Maren said...

The closest wamu is 270 miles away :(. BUT We sold stuff just now, so there's money in my PayPal, so I'm thinking we'll just pay with that. :)

No huge rush on the photos, I'm just super excited to see them. :) I'm a fan of yours. It is so awesome to see your talents blossom like they have. (Photoshop talents included. I wish I were as good with that program as you are! I've seen you work! :) ) Love ya!

Holly O. said...

Oh, that is a bummer!

Maren said...

total bummer. BUT I found an auto-wrecker who actually HAS one, for $45.00 if I give them my old one! SCORE! And they're only 6 miles or so away. :) Now I just need the mechanic!