Monday, July 23, 2007

I finished another book!

It's like a new world record for me. Since I posted that first reading one... I believe it was just one month ago... I've now finished 3 of those Sisterchicks books.

I'd really LOVE to recommend them to everyone. They're awesome. You seasoned readers out there, will zip right through them in just a few hours, I swear. (I mean heck, If I can do it, you all surely could.)

The one I just finished reading was Sisterchicks On the Loose! - Robin Jones Gunn, it's a story about two gals (aka: sisterchicks) that visit Finland, to visit one of their long lost aunt and family. I grew up 2 houses down from a part Finnish family, their dad was from Finland, and mom was from Utah I think. I'm not sure, but I was good friends with their daughter. She only taught me two words in Finnish. Lintu, means bird, and I'll spare you the other one. Its colorful, but not a swear word. lol

Anyway, the reason for this post, is because in the back of the Sisterchicks on the Loose book, there are recommendations for other books, that may be of use to a few of you in the near future.

The first, I think would be awesome for Brianna (even though you may not want her to grow up... she will), and maybe even Hannah... It's Gentle Passages: Guiding Your Daughter into Womanhood Here's what they say about the book:
"Every woman who has an adolescent daughter recognizes her own forgotten questions and insecurities mirrored in those bright young eyes. How can she let her know that she understands these changes, too strange and intimate for her daughter to mention? How can she make the passage into womanhood not a shameful, unpleasant experience but a harmonious and joyful one -- an invitation to a treasured role in God's eyes? Robin Jones Gunn shares stories of how this uncertain transition can become the loveliest time in the life of a mother and daughter, inspiring women with special traditions to carry on for generations to come."


I kinda wish I'd had this book what... 15 years ago?

There's another one that I'd like to have once I finally do have kids too... It's Mothering By Heart. Synopsis:
"Focusing upon the special bond between a mother and child, this unique gift book offers lilting poetry, poignant prose, spiritual insights, romantic photographic images, inspiring quotations, and heart-warming journal entries. A delightful companion to women of every age and background celebrating the vast and myriad joys of motherhood!"


I now adore Robin Jones Gunn, and I really hope to read all her other books, especially the Glenbrooke Series I'm going to try Sophie Kinsella next though. The "Shopaholic & Sister" book is next up for me. I just really can't believe I'm *this* excited about books. I always figured I was a teensy bit dyslexic, my eyes would always jump around when I read, and it was always super hard for me. Maybe its just with these Robin Jones Gunn books... It really doesn't seem that hard anymore. We'll see how I do with the Shopaholic books though, before I start screaming on the rooftops that my partial dyslexia has been cured.

Anyway, I can't recommend them enough. :) Go. Read. Love.

PS: No mail again today, and I'm leaving in a week! ack! I NEED it. :(

2 comments:

Hayley said...

yay shelley - i love that you're excited about books. i spend all my days trying to get my kids excited about books, i feel the same when my friends do it, too!!! good for you!

Maren said...

I'm reading Shopaholic & Sister now... I kinda feel like I'm jumping into Becky's life in the middle. Maybe I should have started at the beginning? I only started reading it yesterday, and I'm already at pg. 164 or so. :D yay books!