Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Journal Lesson

Today in Young Women's I taught lesson #15 from the Manual 2. It was about Journals. Something I hold very near and dear to my heart and soul. I started a journal in like 1990, I was 11, almost 12. I didn't REALLY get into writing too much in it until *I* was in Young Women's myself, and learned that we are commanded to keep a journal. I brought my journals to show, and I even shared a few entries with the girls, and they giggled at how hilariously stupid I was back when I was there age. (Like for example, when a cute boy at school gave me a piece of gum... not only did I save the wrapper... I saved the gum as well. I did wrap it in plastic wrap... but its just SO SILLY to look back on that entry today.)

I'll cherish my journal until the day I die I'm sure. I also had a Journal Jar that I had made from a few sites. It asks questions about their favorite aunt, uncle, what their house was like growing up, all kinds of things to get them thinking, and interested in keeping their journal, and making it something they can love in 10 years.

They were all SUPER excited about it too! We're even having a Journal Jar mutual activity on Wednesday June 6th. :) Hopefully they can all make their own, and they'll be super excited about their own journals from now on. I really feel like I was able to reach them, and you can't put a price on that. :)

Here's the word document I used to create all the strips of questions and what not for inside the Journal Jar. http://www.hawaiianshells.net/Journal_Jar.doc If you do use them, keep in mind there are some that may not fit (like where were you when President Kennedy was shot? I personally wasn't alive then, but feel free to change them to be more updated.)

I should somehow, sometime take a picture of the Jar, but I left it at church, on purpose. I'll figure it out sometime. :)

Keep a journal. It is a commandment.



PS: Happy Mother's Day mom! :) (Don't worry folks... I called her like 3 times already!)

2 comments:

Hayley said...

oh my gosh shelley! i love that! i've already printed it. i'm going to start working on a journal rebirth. thank you - especially since i'm going off track at the end of this week, it'll give me something to do!

Maren said...

Yay! :-D That makes me so very happy! And you didn't even listen to my lesson! lol Yay for a Journal rebirth! :-D