Friday, February 16, 2007

I made perogies!

I made home made perogies (pierogies) on Wednesday (yes, that was Valentine's day... I had nothing better going on. :) )  And I will just say, that I'm pretty darn impressed with myself.  I'm not even Ukrainian, and I did a good job!  My mother in law loved them.  I don't think the hubby did, but he says "I never said I didn't like them!" in a rather defiant manner... I still don't know how he feels about them.  Anyway, here's the recipe I used.

http://www.recipezaar.com/11550
Ukrainian Perogies, for Beginners
48 perogies - 32 min 30 min prep

Dough
2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk, warm
1/2 cup potatoes, well mashed
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Filling (I used this one... next time I'm leaving out the onions and adding more cheese ;) )
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/4 cup butter
2-3 cooked potatoes, mashed
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Alternate Filling
2-3 cups cottage cheese, drained (or use dry curd)
1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
1 egg
salt and pepper (taste before adding egg!)


---------Dough--------------.
Mix dough ingredients together.
You may have to add more liquid or flour to make the dough soft and somewhat sticky.
Turn onto a floured surface and knead more flour into dough- just enough to make it easier to handle. The dough will be slightly sticky. Do not over-knead. Place dough in an oiled bowl. Cover and let rest for 30 minuets.
--------------Filling-----------
Cook onion in butter. Mix with potatoes, and add cheese while the mixture is still hot. Let filling cool before using (place in fridge.) If you are using the alternate filling, simply mix those ingredients together.
-----------Manufacturing-------- (My method of manufacturing needs work)
Set a large pot of water to boil. Form walnut-sized balls of the filling. Roll out dough on floured surface fairly thinly (3 millimeters, or 0.125 inch). You will probably need to add flour as you roll. Cut out circles approxamitely 7 1/2 centimeters (3 inches) in diameter (a wider-mouthed glass should do fine.) Press scraps into a ball. Place filling ball in center of dough circle. If the dough has a less-floury side, keep that side up. Fold dough over ball, and pinch edges to form a half circle.
To prevent perogies with"horns", I pinch at the top ("90degree mark") of the perogy first, then pinch at the 180 and degree edges, working up to the 90 degree mark.
You can cheat pinching the perogies by smearing water on the filling side of the dough at the edges, and keep your fingers floured when you pinch (on the non-filling side.) In order to prevent perogies from drying out, keep finished perogies on a floured surface, and cover with a floured clean dishcloth.
Place several perogies in boiling water. Stir once, gently with a slotted spoon. Perogies are done when they float for a minute (this will take 2-3 minutes). Melt about 1/2 cup of butter or margarine in microwave. Rescue and drain the perogies with the slotted spoon. Place in a bowl, drizzle with some melted butter, and gently shake to distribute the butter. Cook, drain, and drizzle the other perogies in the same manner.

They were quite yummy. We usually eat them with sauteed onions and sour cream.  Some people like them with bacon. My MIL likes hers with ketchup.

The End.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, you have sucked me into your blog! But n e wayz ... you should try frying the perogies after you boil them so are a bit crispy and browned on the outside. (if you ever make em again) YUMMY!